Product FAQ's

UV-C Basics

What is UV-C light?
Is UV-C light safe to use?
Does UV-C require direct contact?
Does this work on mold?
Can UV-C pass through glass?

Light is electromagnetic radiation. UV light is a classification of this light. Our sun emits all types of light, many of which we are familiar with today. A few of these types of light include, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, and gamma rays.

 

We subdivide UV light into three types, UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C. UV-C is can not pass the atmosphere. Because it can not pass through the atmosphere, pathogens can not build up immunities. UV-C passes through the weak walls of microorganisms and disrupts their DNA and RNA.

 

Our UV-C lamps are a photon based purification system that produce photolysis. Photolysis is the use to break down chemical compounds. Photolysis kills and inactivates allergens, viruses, bacteria, and mold.

 

We call Electromagnetic Photolysis. This purification system is the most effective disinfection method, the best sanitation method. Purifying the air and all surfaces within the effective range.

UV-C light is safe to use, with restrictions. It is not recommended to be in the room when using a UV-C disinfection device. Most of the dead skin on on our bodies will absorb the UV-C, but the complication for this could be a rash. If you look at the UV-C device while it is running, a short time is okay but the the complication here would be conjunctivitis.

Smart UV makes its UV-C devices with safety features and protective eyewear to ensure your safety.

The Apollo uses an ozone-free bulb and produces no ozone. There is a 10 second delay to start The Apollo, and uses 5-meter motion detection sensors for pets and unexpected visitors. The Apollo also comes with UV-C protective glasses and a remote, if you wish to use the unit from a distance.

Smart UV uses a 30 second delay to start the unit. Smart UV produces a small amount of ozone, for double sanitation, and it is best to wait 30-45 minutes after use to allow the odor to dissipate.

The Helios UV-C wand uses LED UV-C and this is different than the lamps. UV-C when emitted from an LED will be direct and funneled and concentrated. This is why we can use low level wattage, and why Helios is safe to hold for surface disinfection.

Smart UV's UV-C disinfection devices should only be used by adults, as which all other disinfection agents. They are chemical-free, and they are still used for sanitation purposes and best used in the hands of an adult.

UV-C light does have to shine on the area to disinfect. UV-C light has very low reflection rates, and can not even pass through glass. For good disinfection in a room, we recommend more than one unit.

It is also a possibility to move the unit around once or twice to ensure good room sanitation levels.

If a user is looking to disinfect an entire room with The Apollo, then we recommend three units placed in uniform throughout the room. This ensures no shadows and a complete disinfection cycle.

UV-C light is an excellent method to kill mold and other types of allergens. The disinfection effect from UV-C light isn’t something organic allergens or bacteria can build up a tolerance to. This will work for musty smells as well.

UV-C can't pass through standard glass. It can pass through quartz, which is what our bulbs are made out of. It is completely safe to look at UVC light through standard glass. The blue light passes through. The ultraviolet (unseen) germicidal light will be stopped in its tracks from glass and other transparent plastics.


UV-C Safety and Use

Can I be in the same room?
Is UV-C safe for plants?
Does UV-C damage photographs, paintings, fabrics, wood etc?
What is ozone? Do I need ozone?
Do your UV-C lamps produce ozone?

It is not recommended to be in the room when using a UV-C disinfection device.

Most of the dead skin on on our bodies will absorb the UV-C, but the complication for this could be a rash. If you look at the UV-C device while it is running, a short time is okay but the the complication here would be conjunctivitis. When used in the recommended way, UV-C light is safe to use, with restrictions.

Smart UV makes its UV-C devices with safety features and protective eyewear to ensure your safety.

The Apollo uses an ozone-free bulb and produces no ozone. There is a 10 second delay to start The Apollo, and uses 5-meter motion detection sensors for pets and unexpected visitors. The Apollo also comes with UV-C protective glasses and a remote, if you wish to use the unit from a distance.

Smart UV uses a 30 second delay to start the unit. Smart UV produces a small amount of ozone, for double sanitation, and it is best to wait 30-45 minutes after use to allow the odor to dissipate.

Smart UV's UV-C disinfection devices should only be used by adults, as which all other disinfection agents. They are chemical-free, and they are still used for sanitation purposes and best used in the hands of an adult.

It is not safe to use UV-C light next to plants. We recommend moving the plants outside the room when using any UV-C products, or covering them up.

UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C are all emitted from the sun but UV-C doesn’t make it through the atmosphere. So the typical UV damage from the sun that you’re familiar with is from either UV-A or UV-B.

UV-C is typically only found in man-made devices and it's been dubbed the germicidal wavelength because it disrupts the RNA and DNA of bacteria, viruses, germs etc. and this is where it's the most effective.

Things like wood etc. would take a very long time to affect. Over a long period of time, you might see some effects, but it's not something you should worry about.

UV-C light does fade certain color fabrics over a long period of time. We recommend that they are removed from the room.

Ozone destroys pathogens by ripping electrons from them and breaking their cellular walls in a process called oxidation. Ozone also destroys organic and inorganic contaminants through the same electron-ripping process and breaks them down to their base elements. Ozone is extremely powerful and the reaction is virtually instantaneous. This process of ripping electrons stabilizes the ozone molecule and converts it back to regular O2. This give-and-take process is also referred to as reduction/oxidation or redox for short.

Ozone is carcinogenic and should not be breathed in. Ozone levels should never exceed the following average: 0.10 ppm (parts per million) for 8 hours per day exposure.

Most individuals do not need strong ozone producing lamps. It is double sanitation and provides extra levels of disinfection.

The ozone producing Apollo unit can be purchased upon request. When using an ozone producing Apollo, a 4 hour wait time before entering the room is required, and the recommendation is to use the devices at night.

The Apollo has uses an ozone-free bulb, and creates no odor or ozone. Helios uses LED UV-C and produces no ozone.

The Smart UV disinfection Lamp run at the germicidal UV-C wavelength of 253.7nm and some at 180nm. This produces a small amount of ozone, for double sanitation, and it is best to wait 30-45 minutes after use to allow the odor to dissipate.

The 180nm frequency reacts with the oxygen to create ozone (O3) and this is where it comes from.


General

Can I use these products in a dental office, showroom, hotel, etc.
What wavelength that your UV-C Lamps Emit At?
Are these battery operated? Are they rechargeable?

Yes, our products have a wide range of commercial applications.

For large rooms we recommend the Apollo UV-C unit. You can use multiple Apollo units at once to cover a larger space.

The Apollo emits only at the germicidal wavelength of 253.7nm.

Smart emits at 253.7nm and some at 180nm (so a bit of ozone is created).

Helios emits at 270-280nm through LED concentrated diodes.

Our portable Smart UV's are battery powered and can be recharged by MicroUSB.

Helios is battery powered and can be recharged by MicroUSB

The Apollo requires a standard wall socket plugin.



Still Have Questions?

Send us a message below.

Write us a message